Money stalks



July 14, 2016
Money stalks

FURIOUS: Rachel van Aarde, 40. CREDIT: Manqoba Ngidi

Cops shut case after couple is robbed of R35 000 they withdrew from bank.

A Mitchells Plain couple was robbed of R35 000 at gunpoint after withdrawing the cash at a bank in the local shopping centre.

But Rachel van Aarde, 40, says she is in shock after her husband received a text message from Lentegeur police on Tuesday, informing them their case had been closed.

She says on July 2, they went to Absa Bank in Promenade Mall to withdraw R35 000, meant for a car they were buying on Gumtree.

The mom of three says they took a taxi home to Lentegeur and got out in Begonia Street, around the corner from home, when the skelms struck.

“We had just got off when I noticed these three guys get out of the two white cars parked on the corner,” she explains.

“The one with a gun grabbed my husband and another one with a knife slammed me to the ground and said ‘Sisi, I want the bag’.

“Earlier at the mall, my husband had placed the money, which was in four money bags, into my handbag.

“I held onto the bag and covered it with my body. While on the ground, he cut the straps off but I still wouldn’t let my bag go.

“My husband managed to get away and ran off but all I kept thinking was I can’t let go of the bag with the money in it.

“But my husband came back, while this guy had the gun in my mouth screaming for me to give him the bag or he would shoot me, and my husband was also shouting at me to just give them the bag, and I did and they ran off.”

Rachel says they called the cops who took their statement.

“That was the last we heard from them until my husband got the SMS on Tuesday night,” she adds.

“When I went to the station [yesterday] morning, the detective told me she had closed the case from day one already because there were no cameras in our area to capture the incident and we couldn’t say what these guys looked like.”

The traumatised woman says they are still mystified as to how the robbers knew the money was in her bag.

Captain FC van Wyk confirmed that the case was closed.

Recommended for you