Former government spokesperson Themba Maseko has revealed that he was the one person who made a written submission to ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe about how the Gupta family tried to capture the state.
On Tuesday, Mantashe said the ANC’s National Executive Committee had decided to halt its investigation into claims that the Guptas were offering people positions in government because only one person had made a written submission.
Mantashe said only one of the eight ANC members who complained to him about the Guptas’ political influence was willing to make the written submission.
As a consequence, the ANC viewed the entire exercise as “fruitless”.
In a response to a query on Twitter yesterday, Maseko tweeted: “I did make my submission.”
Earlier this year, he confirmed to the Sunday Times that members of the Gupta family threatened action against him because he didn’t want to help them with a government contract involving the New Age newspaper.
The Guptas allegedly told him they had the ability to do this because of their relationship with President Jacob Zuma.
Questions have now been raised why Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas did not make a submission.
He had said in a formal statement that the Gupta family had offered him the job of finance minister.