Marius Fransman is taking the ANC to court to make sure he gets his job back.
The embattled Western Cape ANC leader yesterday lodged an application at the Cape High Court to get his hands on a report by the ANC’s Integrity Commission, detailing the outcome of an inquiry regarding sexual harassment allegations against him.
There have been conflicting reports on whether Fransman had been reinstated as provincial party leader.
Last Thursday, while on the campaign trail with President Jacob Zuma in the Cape, both he and election campaign head Nomvula Mokonyane confirmed he was back on the job.
However, the ANC’s Secretary General, Gwede Mantashe, has denied this, and said Mokonyane was “pressured” into making the statement while with Fransman at the rally.
Mantashe insisted no decision could be made before Fransman appears before the party’s disciplinary committee.
“Organisations take decisions structurally, they don’t just jump and take decisions,” he said.
Fransman was asked to “step aside” after Louisa Wynand, 21, accused him of sexual assault while on their way to the ANC’s 104 birthday celebrations in Rustenburg in January.
Yesterday, Fransman said he was forced to turn to the courts since he is yet to receive any formal communication from Mantashe. He also slammed Mantashe for undermining Zuma.
“It is outrageous that the SG (Secretary General) should publicly attack and question the president and the head of elections days before a critical election. The office of the president deserves respect,” he said.
Spokesperson for the Western Cape ANC, Yonela Diko, says they too have not received any word from Luthuli House about Fransman’s reinstatement.
“As far as we know he is operating in his personal capacity,” he explained.