Cash van heists on the rise

BY 

On 

May 9, 2017
Cash van heists on the rise

CONCERN: Robbers already stole R45m this year

Cash-in-transit heists in Cape Town have more than tripled since January, compared with the same period last year.

During this period armed robbers made off with more than R45 million.

Another concern is none of the skelms have been arrested.

This is according to the SA Banking Risk Information Centre (Sabric), following a meeting with Police Minister Fikile Mbalula and national police commissioner Kgomotso Phahlane.

The meeting was to find ways to develop strategies on how best to deal with the surge in cash-in-transit heists.

Nationally, there have been 98 reported incidents since the beginning of the year.

In the Western Cape, there were 24 armed robberies in the city since 1 January compared with the seven reported during the same period last year.

“These brazen criminals should not be allowed to terrorise our communities and law enforcement agencies,” Phahlane said.

“Our plans are aimed at intensifying our strategies through collaborative initiatives, with the ultimate goal of eradicating these serious crimes; together with stakeholders from Sabric.”

Sabric CEO Kalyani Pillay said methods employed by the criminals included the increased use of explosives.

“The blowing up of cash-in-transit vehicles has become a major problem,” she said.

“The violent and brazen nature of these attacks is a major concern for both the cash-in-transit companies and the banks. SAPS have fortunately put plans into action to deal with this. Collaboration among the various divisions of the police, prosecution, Sabric, the banks, cash-in-transit companies and other relevant role-players, led by the SAPS, has yielded clear strategies and tactics.”

Robbers got away with R180m in cash heists last year.

Recommended for you