Navy theft trio in court



August 1, 2016
Navy theft trio in court

RAIDED: The Navy Armament Depot in Simons Town

A third suspect in the SANAD heist was arrested on Friday.

Three people are expected to appear in the Simon’s Town Magistrates’ Court today in connection with a burglary at the SA Navy Armament Depot (SANAD).

The third suspect, an 18-year-old, was arrested at the navy base barracks in Simon’s Town on Friday.

Last week several items, including hand grenades and machine guns, were stolen from six store rooms at SANAD.

On Thursday, South African National Defence Force spokesperson Brigadier General Xolani Mabanga said “all the stolen equipment was recovered”.

But the Hawks confirm one of the stolen firearms was found during Friday’s search.

Hawks spokesperson Captain Lloyd Ramovha says: “The suspect was apprehended on Friday afternoon at a navy base barracks after the search of the premises uncovered one of the alleged stolen firearm.”

Head of the Hawks in the Western Cape, Major General Nombuso Khoza, said more arrests could follow as the investigations intensify.

Mabanga said the father of one of the suspects was previously employed at the Navy.

Community Safety MEC Dan Plato says it’s not clear if the 18-year-old worked for the Navy.

“I have been asked if he works for the Navy but I have not yet been able to confirm if he does,” Plato says.

“It’s a big worry if all the weapons and ammunition have not yet been found.

“We need to get to the bottom of how they got entry into such a secure place, with special locks and CCTV cameras.”

(Visited 681 times, 1 visits today)