Navy theft duo denied bail



August 19, 2016
Navy theft duo denied bail

Duncan Gouvias and Dilo Sewkumar will remain behind bars, while Karabo Ramakgopa was released on bail. CREDIT: Manqoba Ngidi

Two of the three accused will remain behind bars.

Bail has been denied to two young men accused of breaking into the Simon’s Town Naval base and stealing a cache of weapons.

Magistrate Chrystal Mckinna said releasing Duncan Gouvias, 21, and Dilon Sewkumar,19, would not be in the interests of justice, but found the opposite for their co-accused, Karabo Ramokgopa,18.

Ramakgopa faces one charge, possession of a firearm.

Bail judgement was made at the Simon’s Town Magistrates Court yesterday.

Last month several weapons, including machine guns and explosives, were stolen from the South African Navy Armament Depot.

It’s believed the accused broke through three security fences using bolt cutters.

During her judgement, McKinna said the break-in was “well planned” since it happened when the electric fence was not working.

“The crime scene in this case is a [national] keypoint,” she said.

“This was not just an act of criminals but could also [have] caused a loss of life.

“What would it make of security if the people who threatened national security are released on bail?”

Mckinna added that the accused wanted to “recklessly sell” the weapons to “anyone regardless of the consequences”.

“I shudder to think what would have happened if it ended up in the wrong hands,” she said.

She stated that Gouvias and Sewkumar, who were arrested first, were found in possession of the “bulk” of the items while Ramakgopa, who was arrested a day later, was found with just one.

Ramakgopa is to remain under house arrest between 7pm and 7am and is only allowed to leave the house to go to work.

He has to report to Simon’s Town Police station everyday.

The case was postponed to September 7 for further investigation.

(Visited 1,217 times, 1 visits today)