The Kaapse Klopse have distanced themselves from an alleged gang-related shooting at one of their parades in Bo-Kaap.
The minstrel bosses say they fear skollies may now be using their road marches as a cover to commit crime.
The shooting occurred shortly after 10pm on Wale Street on Sunday night, just after four minstrel troupes had finished their road march.
Cops arrived at the scene to find the deceased Julie “Sollas” Solomons lying dead on the side of the road, with shocked crowds looking on.
The 44-year-old Hanover Park man had blood streaming from the right of his face where he had been shot behind the ear.
Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut says the circumstances surrounding the murder are still being investigated.
“A 44-year-old man was shot and killed at around 10.10pm in Wale Street, Cape Town, by an unknown suspect who is yet to be arrested,” he says.
The motive behind the murder is yet to be revealed but it’s believed to be gang-related.
Yesterday the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association issued a statement to distance themselves from the fatal shooting.
According to the association, neither the victim nor the shooter were in “connected to the march”.
The association’s K Clarke says the four major troupes had finished performing and the shots rang out as the last group was wrapping up.
“It is highly concerning to us that the gang violence which has once again flared up on the Cape Flats, may now be using the minstrels road marches and gatherings as a cover for their gang and criminal activities,” he says.
“The safety of our large membership and supporter base is of primary concern to us and we will work with the authorities to keep our events and gatherings safe over the festive season.
“The minstrel fraternity has come a long way over the last decade to rid itself from stigma of gangs and thuggery.
“We cannot allow a beautiful culture to be tainted by unruly characters who have their own illegal agendas.”