Mom in Australia sues state over son’s snake-bite death



October 5, 2016
Mom in Australia sues state over son’s snake-bite death

Junpeng Tan suffered cardiac arrest after a snake bite. CREDIT: Sourced

Boy,7, dies after being bitten by a venomous snake while on a school trip.

Sydney – A mother in Australia whose seven-year-old son died after being bitten by a snake during a school trip is suing the Victorian state government, her lawyers said on Wednesday.

Xiaoying Tan, mother of Junpeng who died after he was bitten by a venomous brown snake in 2013, is suing the state of Victoria, which is responsible for the Rowville Primary School, and the operators of Mount Morton Camp which the students were visiting.

Junpeng was on a class trip when he suffered a cardiac arrest after being bitten by a snake, and despite teachers administering CPR he later died in hospital, Maurice Blackburn Lawyers said.

Tan is accusing the school and the reserve operators of being negligent in their supervision of, and duty of care towards her son, according to a court submission.

Junpeng’s death could not be attributed to any injury, however the pathologist who conducted the autopsy concluded that it was “reasonable to determine that this unfortunate young fellow has succumbed to a snake bite,” the lawyers said.

Tan and her son had only moved to Australia from China two months before he died.

The eastern brown snake is the second most venomous snake in the world. The inland taipan is more venomous, however brown snakes are more common and more aggressive.

There have been at least two deaths in Australia due to snake bites this year.

A two-year-old boy who suffered a cardiac arrest after being bitten three times by a taipan last week is currently in an intensive care unit in Queensland.

(Visited 2,032 times, 1 visits today)