Marius slammed at Cosatu rally



May 3, 2016
Marius slammed at Cosatu rally

Sidelined, ANC;s Marius Fransman. CREDIT: Sourced

ANC Western Cape dik ding Marius Fransman may have been asked to step aside following sexual harassment allegations, but his future took centre stage at a Workers’ Day rally.

Tourism Minister and ANC National Executive Committee Member Derek Hanekom used a Cosatu Workers’ Day rally at Cape Town Stadium to slam Fransman, the party’s under-fire provincial chairperson.

Fransman was asked to “step aside” in February by the ANC over allegations and a criminal complaint that he had sexually harassed a 21-year-old Stellenbosch woman while they were travelling to the party’s birthday celebrations in Rustenburg in early January.

The woman was said to be his personal assistant who had since left his employ. To date no charges have been brought against Fransman.

The allegations relate to incidents the woman claims happened in the North West during the ANC’s anniversary celebrations earlier this year.

In his speech, Hanekom, who is also chairperson of the ANC’s national disciplinary committee, called for the unity of the tripartite alliance and said ill-discipline should not be tolerated.

“We cannot have sexual harassment [in our movement], we must deal with it,” he said to the small crowd without mentioning Fransman by name.

Hanekom’s address was delivered to fewer than 400 Cosatu supporters, many of whom came with their children.

Officials were disappointed at the low turn-out, but could not explain why.

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)
Read more International