The Cape Town businessman, who was allegedly kidnapped in Athlone, is still missing.
A week after Naushad Deshmukh, 46, was snatched by five armed men outside his clothing shop in Hadji Ebrahim Crescent, police say they have yet to trace him.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut said last night: “There have been no new developments and the investigation continues.”
A family member yesterday told the Daily Voice it was not the first time Naushad was targeted.
“He is a businessman and previous attempts have been made, but this is the first time that he was actually taken,” says the man who asked not to be named.
“It is worrying and scary. We are all afraid for him and just want him home safely, no matter what it takes.”
According to a 51-year-old witness, and the manager of Naushad’s business, Khans, they had just locked up when the kidnappers grabbed him and loaded him in a white double-cab bakkie outside the store last week Monday.
According to sources close to the investigation, on Wednesday night, Naushad called home to say that he had been beaten up and tortured, but was doing well.
He told family members the kidnappers wanted “20 million pounds (R335 million) for his safe return”.
The family denied the phone call took place.
The source said yesterday that the family has asked for the “utmost discretion” and no longer want media coverage.