Hlaudi Motsoeneng and the SABC board are not going anywhere even though the courts, the ANC and all opposition parties in Parliament want them out.
Yesterday a defiant Hlaudi, the former SABC Chief Operations Officer said: “I am employed at the SABC, I have never employed myself, they approached me to be the COO.”
Motsoeneng kept on referring to himself in the third person and said: “If Hlaudi is cleared, Hlaudi can apply for that job,” and “everywhere I go around the world, people acknowledge Hlaudi.”
Along with the SABC board chairperson, Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe, Motsoeneng was adamant that they would not resign even though Parliament has threatened to dissolve the current board.
In a bizarre move, he also accused journalists who are critical of him and the SABC as “all wanting to work at the SABC”.
He said that there are no retrenchments at the broadcaster, unlike “at other broadcasters and in print media” and that SABC staff have been paid 13th cheques.
This despite the SABC reporting a loss of over R400 million when it presented its 2015/16 financial statements in Parly last month.
During the committee meeting in Parliament on Wednesday, two board members Vusi Mavuso and Krish Naidoo resigned, saying they are embarrassed to be associated with the public broadcaster which was “dysfunctional”.
Maghuve accused MPs of bullying, and said he won’t be quitting.
“In order for me to not keep you in suspense, let the inquiry come. I’m ready for it,” he said.