‘Door is open for Oscar’



July 13, 2016
‘Door is open for Oscar’

'BRIGHT FUTURE': Oscar Pistorius, 29

Convicted murderer Oscar Pistorius could compete in the 2020 Olympic Games.

Convicted killer Oscar Pistorius’ career is far from over, at least according to Sascoc.

The Blade Runner could be setting new records as early as the 2020 Olympics Games.

In an interview with the MailOnline on Friday, Tubby Reddy, the Olympic body’s chief executive, said the disgraced athlete could play a part at the 2020 Tokyo games as he would have “paid his debt” to society.

Reddy’s astonishing comment comes days after Pistorius was handed a six-year sentence by Judge Thokozile Masipa at the high court in Pretoria, after his original five-year conviction for culpable homicide was upgraded to murder, on appeal last year.

Pistorius, 29, shot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp four times through a locked bathroom door in February 2013.

Reddy said he had “no problem” with the idea of the murderer returning to the national team.

Legal experts reckon Oscar could be out on bail after serving half his sentence, which would give him a year to train and qualify for the Tokyo games.

“He would have paid his debt to society and will be back in society, living as a normal South African citizen. There is no rule that says he would not be able to participate,” Reddy said.

The Olympic body has refused to comment, saying it will only become “relevant once Oscar has been released from prison.”

Twitter responded in anger to the idea that Pistorius’ career could be resurrected.

Lu Jacobs tweeted: “Tubby Reddy, CEO of South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee says he’ll welcome #OscarPistorius back for 2020. His MA SE P***.”

(Visited 309 times, 1 visits today)