Backyarder electrification gets recharged



September 26, 2016
Backyarder electrification gets recharged

REPORT: Ernest Sonnenberg

CoCT adds R50m electric project.

The City of Cape Town is pumping a further R50 million into its backyarder electrification project in 2016/17, it said yesterday.

A total of R229 495 913 had been spent on this project from inception up till now, mayoral committee member for utility services Ernest Sonnenberg said in a statement.

The backyarder project started in Factreton and Hanover Park following a council resolution in 2011 to allow the roll-out of services to backyard residents on city property. These services included access to water, sanitation, waste collection, and electricity, and were rolled out to areas identified by the human settlements directorate in consultation with residents.

“As far as we are aware, the City of Cape Town is the only metro in the country that has a programme to extend services to backyard dwellers living on council-owned properties,” Sonnenberg said.

“We have done this in response to the steep growth in the number of backyard dwellers over the past decade, but also taking into account that they are some of the most vulnerable groupings in our city.”

The electrification project provided electricity connections directly to backyarders by installing connections directly to their dwellings.

The budget will allow for projects to be completed in Parkwood, Bonteheuwel, and Hanover Park, while a new project will be started in Kalksteenfontein.

(Visited 114 times, 1 visits today)
Read more News