‘Army truck’ gave residents false hope



April 18, 2016
‘Army truck’ gave residents false hope

Manenberg residents thought the armoured vehicle belonged to the SANDF, but it turned out to be the SAPS. CREDIT: Phado Jikelo

Manenberg residents’ relief thinking the army finally stieked uit was short-lived

Manenberg residents praised government on Saturday for sending in the army.

However, their relief was short-lived after it turned out a large camouflage vehicle with armed soldiers in it spotted in the violence-torn area was a police vehicle, and not that of the SA National Defence Force.

Two people were shot dead in gang-related violence over the weekend, bringing the death toll to 16 since March 31.

Shortly after a man was killed on Saturday morning, residents saw what appeared to be an army truck in Manenberg Avenue.

The image was posted on Facebook, and many people thought the army had been sent in to restore calm.

But police and the South African National Defence Force yesterday confirmed it was not an army vehicle.

SANDF spokesperson Brigadier General Xolani Mabanga says: “No army was deployed to Manenberg. We are not aware of any requests of pending request from the police minister to the minister of defence.”

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut wouldn’t confirm or deny the presence of the army in Manenberg.

He did however say that additional members have been deployed to the area since Saturday.

Traut says: “Numerous crime operations [were] conducted throughout the weekend in areas where gang-related crime are prevalent which entails additional resources being deployed to quell the violence.”

“These operations have not been concluded as yet, and the outcome thereof will be communicated to the media by means of a consolidated report,” he adds.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, a 41-year-old man was shot dead in Sonderend Street.

Police sources say the man was a member of the Americans gang and was on his way to buy cigarettes when he was gunned down at 2.20am.

Yesterday morning, 24-year-old Marchelino Andries was shot dead in Peta Walk shortly after leaving his girlfriend’s home.

It’s believed he had ties with the Hard Livings gang.

Marchelino’s aunt, Vanessa Daniels says: “As far as I knew he did not belong to the gang but he was friends with the Hard Livings.”

Vanessa says there had been three previous attempts on Marchelino’s life.

Marchelino was the only son of his mother, Fayrouz “Bree” Jones, 48.

Traut says no arrests were made.

Late yesterday afternoon, leaders of the Hard Livings and Clever Kids were meeting on a field in Manenberg for “peace talks”.

(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)