THE ANC is planning to go all the way to the Supreme Court of Appeal to challenge the City of Cape Town’s logo – which was introduced two years ago.
ANC caucus leader in the City, Xolani Sotashe, said the party won’t “let this go”, after losing its appeal with costs in the Western Cape High Court on Monday.
“We are fighting on. We are heading to Bloemfontein to appeal. We strongly believe we have a case. Even if we lose, we will take this to the Constitutional Court,” he told the Cape Argus.
Mayor Patricia de Lille said: “They tried relentlessly to make it a debate about shapes and colours because they do not understand the concept of having a progressive vision for this City. This was evident during the elections and the court ruling proved this lack of vision once more.”
The ANC went bos when the logo was launched in 2014, accusing the City of being “arrogant” and going over the heads of residents in adopting the logo.
At the time the City said the associated costs of the logo would amount to R313 720.
The ANC approached the Western Cape High Court in August last year to declare the council decision on the City’s rebranding invalid. It lost the case two months later.
Sotashe adds: “We are not going to let this go. If we don’t challenge them it means that communities don’t have a say in terms of the decisions taken in council.”
De Lille said the city would now pursue payment for the cost of the court case from Luthuli House.