ANC protest culprit suspended



July 1, 2016
ANC protest culprit suspended

TORCHED: Golden Arrow bus in flames during protest on N2 on Wednesday night. CREDIT: Leon Knipe

Party bosses axe member for public violence after N2 protest.

After denying any involvement at first, the ANC in the Western Cape has suspended a member who was allegedly a “key instigator” in violence which erupted on the N2 near Cape Town Airport on Wednesday night.

Provincial Secretary Faiez Jacobs had denied yesterday morning that any of its structures had been involved in the torching of two buses on Borcherds Quarry Road and the closure of the highway.

But in a statement late yesterday, Jacobs said: “The ANC in the Western Cape has moved swiftly to suspend a key instigator into yesterday’s N2 violent protest, subject to the disciplinary processes that will be underway soonest.

“The ANC has found the member to have brought the party into disrepute, making certain false allegations against the ANC and threatening to commit public violence.

“The member was quoted as having said ‘We are going to continue to make the N2 chaotic and unstable’ and we find these particular utterances irresponsible, reckless and bordering on inciting violence.”

Angry ANC members from Barcelona informal settlement went on a rampage because they’re unhappy with the ruling party’s ward candidate list for the upcoming local elections.

The N2 was closed after the buses were set on fire and passing motorists stoned, with protesters burning tyres near Airport Approach Road.

Residents, claiming to be ANC members belonging to Ward 40 in Nyanga, said they wanted their “rightfully nominated” candidate, councillor Bongani Mbili, to stand instead of party bosses’ choice, Bongani Ngcombolo.

Zukiswa Plaatjies of ANC ward 40 said the protest was an attempt to get their voices heard.

He said they wore yellow T-shirts to show they were ANC members.

He said they voted for Mbili and were shocked to see Ngcombolo’s face on campaign posters.

Mawethu Tafana, deputy chairman of Barcelona, was quoted as saying that if the ANC doesn’t listen to them, they would not allow any voting to take place on August 3.

Unhappiness with its candidate lists has plagued the ANC countrywide, with the Western Cape also affected.

Recently, former ANC councillor Loyiso Nkohla defected and endorsed the Democratic Alliance.

And last Saturday Ses’khona People’s Rights Movement leader and ANC PEC member, Andile Lili, said he was held hostage by disgruntled members.

(Visited 210 times, 1 visits today)